Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Thanksgiving Day

I'm going to introduce this blog with some of my paintings. I graduated from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh in 1974 to prepare for a career in commercial art. Due to a lack of motivation, I never did pursue that career. For a period of about 25 years I never painted, but I often thought about painting--about what I would paint if I did paint--and how I would paint it. I observed light and shadows and the form of the things around me. Then, in 2000, I decided to pick up the brush again and see what would happen. To my surprise, I painted better than I had ever painted in my life. The painting above, Thanksgiving Day, a 24x30" acrylic on canvas, was the first painting of my "comeback." The subject is an afternoon mountain bike trip taken by myself, my son, my brother-in-law and a friend of my son on--you guessed it--Thanksgiving day.